Wednesday, December 10, 2008


Ricky Martin with sons Valentino (left) and Matteo in San Juan, Puerto RicoPhoto by: Pablo Alfaro / Getty
First Photo of Ricky Martin's Twins!
Meet Matteo and Valentino Martin! 

Born via surrogate in early August, Ricky Martin's 4-month-old twin boys make their debut in this week's issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday. 

A joyful Martin, 36, spoke candidly with PEOPLE at home in Puerto Rico about his desire to be a parent, the decision to seek the help of a surrogate and juggling caring for twins – he has no nanny!

PEOPLE: Describe this time in your life
MARTIN: I'm so happy! Everything they do, from smiling to crying, feels like a blessing. Being a father feels amazing. This has been the most spiritual moment in my life. 

How hands-on are you as a father?
I don't have a nanny. I'm doing this on my own because I don't want to miss a moment. I have a personal assistant who helps me, someone who takes care of me while I'm taking care of them, but I'm the one who changes the diapers, the one that feeds them, the one that bathes them, the one that puts them to sleep. For any parent, the first couple of months tend to get a little bit intense. 

Why did you choose to become a parent via surrogate?
Adoption was one option, but it's complicated and can take a long time. Surrogacy was an intriguing and faster option. I thought, 'I'm going to jump into this with no fear.' 

Tell us about Valetino's and Matteo's personalities.
Valentino loves to sleep. I call him 'Mr. Peace and Love' because he's so chill and serene. Matteo is more alert and active. He was up at 3 a.m. the other night and just hanging! 

What is your philosophy on raising your sons?
I love to read books to my sons and tell them stories. I play music for them so they develop their own personalities. I want to give them information and raise them with honesty and love, and give them self-esteem and a lot of acceptance. 



Home
RSS Feed
Email Subscribe
Tell a Friend

0 Comments: